Moore’s Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moore’s Law

I heard this on our local public radio station.... I thought you guys would appreciate it.

In Race Against the Machine (which is a terrific read, BTW), Andrew McAfee and Erik Brynjolfsson make the point that the impact of Moore’s Law is just beginning to hit its radical phase. Andy and Erik use the analogy of the fable of the invention of chess as a way to talk about what happens once the power of exponential improvement really takes hold of processes and people and technology.

The way the fable goes is as follows. Supposedly the inventor of the game of chess showed his creation to the Emperor. The Emperor was so delighted by the game that he allows the inventor to name his own reward. The inventor was a clever man, and so he asks for a quantity of rice to be determined as follows: one grain of rice is placed on the first square of the chessboard, two grains on the second, four on the third and so on with each square receiving twice as many grains as the previous one. The Emperor agrees, thinking that this reward is far too small for such a fabulous game.

He is reassured in his thinking during the early phases of the rice doubling because it really doesn't seem that impressive initially. Even after 32 squares, the Emperor has given the inventor only about 4 billion grains of rice. Now that’s an awful lot of rice, but it is only about one large field’s worth. However, it is in the second half of the chessboard that volume of rice becomes overwhelming. In the second half of the chessboard the Emperor ultimately realizes that the number of grains of rice is equal to 2 to the 64th power – 1, or about enough rice to make a mountain the size of Mount Everest.

The point that Andy and Erik make with this fable in terms of technology is that we are now starting to move into the second half of Gordon Moore’s chessboard. It is in the second half of the chessboard that technology change accelerates. And if the changes and improvements in hardware technology (as represented by semiconductor capacity) are not impressive enough, our ability to create software and algorithms improves even more quickly than our ability to improve the hardware.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Right. Cool read

Long story short, we will create better software b4 we get better hardware? =D
    CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

or, maybe the other way around. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law
      Originally posted by DADAL View Post
      Right. Cool read

Long story short, we will create better software b4 we get better hardware? =D
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

the sad part is max still wont be fully multi-threaded

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

something will have to come along and take its place, or they'll have to change the way MAX works
          Originally posted by Da_elf View Post
          the sad part is max still wont be fully multi-threaded
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

the sad part is backburner still won't be updated.
            Colin Senner

Comment

Originally posted by MoonDoggie View Post
              the sad part is backburner still won't be updated.
              BUhahahahahaha =D nice1 =D

Whats wrong with BB btw?

Comment

Interesting idea applying the chess parable to Moore's Law but one thing I don't understand (and maybe this is touched on in the book) is how do we know where we are at on the chess board in this analogy? How do they justify stating that we are "moving into the second half (of the chessboard)?
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Nice question dlparisi but I think that there is no second half in real live. Like vlados sign say, "Anything that works will be used in progressively more challenging applications until it fails". At which point I think well just make new stuff and keep on going

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
                    Nice question dlparisi but I think that there is no second half in real live. Like vlados sign say, "Anything that works will be used in progressively more challenging applications until it fails". At which point I think well just make new stuff and keep on going
                    Vlado changed his sig??? I guess we're not supposed to report bugs anymore!
                    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

here is a graphic that supports the law
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-04-05_1857.png
Views:	1
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	845222
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com